We don’t have to miss out on eggs, because we discovered how to find a substitute for egg scramble. TOFU. Tofu is a versatile ingredient that can be easily shaped into a specific texture. On weekends, we tend to crave a dense breakfast. Instead of going out and getting into the crowded brunch lines. We enjoy a super easy southwestern style tofu scramble.
What is Tofu?
Tofu is a type of soybeans that has been processed. There are different textures of tofu, including extra soft, soft, medium, firm, extra-firm. We buy various tofu types based on the dish we are trying to create. We are big advocates for whole foods and minimally processed. There are other forms of soy that are minimally processed such as miso and tempeh. The whole soybean is what you may see in the Japanese restaurants or in the freezer section – edamame.
Why is Tofu healthy?
Tofu is high in essential nutrients, such as fiber, iron, magnesium, potassium, protein, and zinc.
Additionally, soybeans naturally contain a class of phytoestrogens called isoflavones. You don’t need to be scared of plant-based estrogen. The soy benefits are tremendous and two-fold through a selective process. Soy estrogen can help to reduce breast cancer risk through its anti-estrogenic effect. Soy can also help decrease menopausal hot flashes through a pro-estrogenic effect. Estrogen is also important for bone health. Soy products are shown to help with fertility and reduce risk for fibroids. Soy is NOT associated with male breasts.
How much soybeans are recommended?
Soybeans fall into the legume family, meaning beans. A good goal is to eat 1.5 cups of beans, including soy, per day.
Easy Plant Based Scramble Tofu
- medium size skillet
- 16 oz organic firm tofu
- 1/4 cup yellow onion approximately 1/3 of medium onion
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper approximately 1/2 a medium red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup mixed greens including spinach
- 1 tsp black salt
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Drain out the fluid from the Tofu container. Dry your tofu by lightly patting the tofu with a clean paper towel for a moist "egg" texture. If you prefer dry scramble, pat dry several times.
- Place tofu in a large mixing bowl. Using a masher, mash the tofu into small bits to a fine scramble.
- Finely mince the onion.
- Slice the bell pepper in half. Remove seeds. Take half the bell peppers and dice in to small pieces.
- Slice mixed greens into thin strips by rolling the greens and then slicing.
- Add 1/4 cup of water into the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Sautee the onions until translucent.
- Add Mashed Tofu and then add all the spices.
- After 7 minutes, add the bell peppers and cook for 3 minutes.
- Lastly, add the mixed greens and stir around. Turn off the stove after 1 minute of stirring to avoid overcooking.
Yum. Saw your post and happened to have these ingredients in the house so I made this am. Thanks t
Thank you!! Hope you enjoyed it
What brand of bread is in the pic? Thanks.