Creamy Taro Leaf Curry: “Laing”
A traditional Filipino dish with a plant-based twist.
- Heavy bottom pot (recommended)
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 5 cloves garlic peeled, crushed, and minced
- 1 whole yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 1-2 tbsp black bean garlic sauce add more for taste
- 1 ounce dried taro leaves
- 2 cans cups coconut milk (3.5 oz)
- 2-4 tbsp Thai chili peppers sliced, add slowly according to your spicy preference
- 4 tbsp ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- Heat a pot over medium heat. Add oil and garlic and sauce (until garlic is slightly golden).
- Add onion, ginger, and chili peppers. Salute until the onion has turned translucent.
- Add black bean garlic sauce and coconut milk into pot and mix thoroughly.
- Add the taro leaves and gently push down so that they can absorb the mixture.
- Avoid stirring as the leaves are fragile and may be broken. Lower the heat to your lowest setting and cover the pot. Simmer of 45 minutes while checking every 15 minutes to make sure nothing is being burnt.
- Remove from heat. You are ready to serve the Laing!