We had so much fun making this pancake. You can eat it with or without the braggs liquid aminos. Skip the regular flour and use chickpea flour. Get your protein and fiber in with this plant based recipe. You replace your breakfast pancakes with this savory pancake!
Savory Chickpea Pancake
This a hearty breakfast option with colorful veggies mixed into this delicious pancake.
- 1 medium sized skillet
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red bellpepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes optional
Savory Sesame Sauce
- 3 tbsp braggs liquid aminos
- 1 tsp sesame
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp rice wine vinegar (may use 1 tbs of lemon juice)
- 1/2 tbs maple syrup
- Preheat skillet over medium heat with 1/8 tsp of olive/coconut/avocado oil
- Whisk together the chickpea flour, garlic powder, salt, peppers, baking powder in small bowl
- Add the water and whisk well until no clumps remain. Depending on the flour, you may need less water. Start with ½ cup and add as needed.
- Stir in your chopped vegetables of choice. I used red and orange bellpeppers. You may use spinach, carrots, or your other favorites.
- Pour on all of the batter and quickly spread it out all over the
pan. Cook for about 4-5 minutes on one side (timing will depend on how hot
your pan is), until you can easily slide a pancake flipper/spatula under
the pancake and it's firm enough not to break when flipping. Flip pancake
carefully and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until lightly golden. Be sure
to cook for enough time as this pancake takes much longer to cook compared
to regular pancakes.
- Serve on a large plate and top with your desired toppings: salsa, avocado, hummus, almond feta, olives, fresh herbs, sautéed greens or
mushrooms – be creative!
Savory Sesame sauce
- Stir in all the ingredients listed
- Drizzle lightly on you pancake according to your liking.