Comfort food for the Soul
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms (shiitake/baby portobello) sliced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Liquid Aminos
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce/ketchup
- 4 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 tsp dried dill or 1 tbsp of fresh dill weed
- 3/4 cup homemade tofu mayonnaise
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt optional or to taste
- 1 tsp grounded black pepper/red crushed pepper optional or to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil/water optional
- 1 package whole wheat/chick pea/lentil pasta
- 1. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add garlic until lightly browned then add onion until fragrant and soft, about 5 minutes. Then add the mushrooms and cook until they release their juices and become soft, about 7 minutes.
- 2. In a separate bowl mix the rest of the ingredient except the vegetable broth, flour, and tofu mayonnaise. Stir in the mix and cook for 2 minutes. Add vegetable broth then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the liquid has reduced by a third, about 8 minutes. Mix in the tofu mayonnaise and flour. Continue to simmer until the sauce thickens, another 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 3. Cook the pasta according to package directions Drain, rinse and return the noodles to the pot. Pour the mushroom sauce over the pasta and stir to coat. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Tofu Mayonnaise Instructions
- 1. Blend 12 ounces Korean soft tofu/extra soft tofu and 1 tbsp of lemon in a Vitamix for 3 minutes until completely smooth.