We love eating hummus and what better way to eat it than home made hummus! This is a healthy green twist on hummus with the addition of hummus. When we buy store bought hummus, there is usually a lot of extra ingredients that are not needed in addition to loads of salt. At least at home, you can control the salt intake as well as the ingredients in it.
Combine this with any vegetable or chip of your liking. It makes an excellent snack and even a main meal.
- 1 cup Chickpeas
- 2 Avocado
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1.5 tbsp Tahini
- 3 tbsp Lime or lemon juice
- 1-2 clove Garlic
- 1/8 tsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda
- Dash of Salt
- Dash of Black Pepper
- Dash of Red Pepper
Preparing the Chickpeas
- Soak 1 cup of chickpeas with water overnight.
- Drain chickpeas
- Place chickpeas in a pot
- Add water to chickpeas with 1 inch above the level of chickpeas
- Add baking soda
- Boil for 1 hour until you can easily smash chickpeas with your fingers.
- Drain the chickpeas
Combining Ingredients in Food Processor
- Pulse cooked chickpeas using a food processor until smooth and creamy
- Place the other ingredients in the food processor and process until well combined